Memorial Day Reflection - May 22, 2020
Loriann De Martini, PharmD, MPH, BCGP - CEO
Dear CSHP Friends & Colleagues,
As we march into the weekend with the Memorial Day holiday before us, I cannot help but reflect on the meaning of the holiday and how it is an analogy for what we are experiencing as a society.
Memorial Day was established to honor the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military. Those brave men and women served the greater good, our country, fearlessly to protect us against an enemy. They made the ultimate sacrifice, their lives. We too are at war with an enemy that is devastating our society. Front line health workers are the soldiers who tirelessly and fearlessly are fighting to care for and protect us from an enemy; the Covid-19 virus.
To all the front-line workers and especially pharmacists and pharmacy technicians, we may not be shoulder to shoulder with you, however, we are with you. I can guarantee you we are working non-stop in our efforts to support you and the people you serve. Over the last month and half, CSHP:
- Successfully petitioned Governor Newsom to issue a waiver to allow pharmacists to order and test for Covid-19. See our letter sent on May 1st here.
- Submitted regulatory rule making comments to the Board of Pharmacy (BoP) to improve community pharmacy staffing requirements. See our letter to the BoP here.
- Requested the Governor develop a state wide coordinated effort on acquisition and distribution of PPE to health care workers. See our letter here.
- Raised awareness of the shortage of critical care medications to senior officials at the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), Office of Emergency Services (OES), and the Governor. In addition to ongoing communications with CDPH and OES I sent a letter to the Governor. See our letter here.
- Exponentially expanded our Continuing Education (CE) web offerings while also supporting pharmacist residents presenting their research. For the months of May and April we have and will present over 30 presentations representing a total of over 22 CE hours. We are not stopping there with more CE offerings for the month of June.
- Host weekly hospital leadership meetings with standing agenda items from CDPH, BoP, administration, and legislative updates. These meetings have been extremely well received with an average of 80 to 90 attendees each week. This past week we heard how to utilize the emergency response process to acquire not only medical supplies but also medications moving from the local level to the regional mutual aid and then to the state and as needed to the federal government . Next week we will be hosting a presentation from CDPH on remdisivir use in the hospital setting.
- Launched an interactive, permission based, secure forum designed specifically for Covid-19 related issues. The new forum provides secure interaction between members and robust resources to educate and assist with managing the pandemic. Every CSHP member has a profile, please join the hundreds who have already claimed their profile here.
Even though the holiday is before us, I know that many of you will not get a break and until we all can rest, I won’t rest in my efforts to support you and the people you serve.
If there is anything I can do or should be doing contact me directly (firstname.lastname@example.org). It does not matter what day of the week it is or whether it is a holiday I am always here.
Loriann De Martini, PharmD, MPH, BCGP
Chief Executive Officer, CSHP
Comments/Questions? Please reach out to our general inbox at email@example.com or to our CEO at firstname.lastname@example.org.